Sunday 22 July 2012

close encounter with malayan gaur (Seladang)

Its was misting morning in Air Karah we just had our morning breakfast about 8.00 am at "Warung Kak Bari" (name of a coffee shop) and proceed to our farm. All the boys were in the back of my husband 4X4 Hilux while my husband driving, I sat beside him. Just a few meters away from my farm we saw a huge solitary young Malayan Gaur (seladang) grazing beside the road. At first, we mistaken him to a water buffalo, suddenly my husband stopped the car and said "Seladang" he reversed his car and said " take a picture". Sound from the car's engine makes the Seladang stop grazing and stared at us, the boys were quiet at the back of the car. I took a few shoots. At one time, he looked disturb, I thought he will ram into our car, and told my husband to go off, but my husband said its okay. He was right, after a few minutes staring at us The Seladang just walked away.
(Malayan Gaur (Seladang) is the smallest subspecies of Gaur. They are found only in Malaysia and Thailand. They are active either early in the morning or late in the evening. They are protected species in Malaysia.)


not a full-grown adult, maybe his herd have been killed by poachers

In Malaysia, Seladang is highly threatened by pouching for domestic consumption

sometimes Seladang goes into the fields and graze alongside domestic cattle
seladang has a white tail, that's make him different from a bull



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...